My New Favorite Website




By: Bess Hayes

Berlin is probably my favorite city on the whole planet, so I was delighted when research for an upcoming episode of The Generations Project took me (well, digitally) to 19th-century Berlin.

Researching 19th-century Berlin might seem like a difficult task, but thanks to my new favorite website http://www.berlin.ucla.edu/hypermedia/2003.php, it was easy and fun. Simply put, I heart it. A lot.

It was created for a class at UCLA, and luckily the blessed dears have left it up for our perusal and enjoyment. This website combines dozens of maps to create a cartographic history of Berlin, mapping its last 800 years. I love tracing the development of this city on the Spree. And as a cartophile, I love following the stylistic evolution of maps depicting it.

Even if your family history doesn't take you back to Berlin, I hope you enjoy these cartographic snapshots of this beautiful city. Oh, and let us know if you've found any similar exciting websites while doing research.

2 comments:

Anonymous | August 25, 2010 at 1:29 PM

This website is awesome! I wish they had something similar for England. Or do they? Does anyone know?

KPW | August 26, 2010 at 3:04 AM

love this post.

Post a Comment